Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pina Colada Smoothie


I'm addicted to pina coladas.  I drink one for breakfast pretty much every morning.  Well, I drink a virgin one every morning :)  It's a great way to get a couple servings of fruit and a serving of calcium in as you start the day, and it's very refreshing and energizing after a morning workout!

I only use 4 ingredients, and if you want to make it vegan, you can skip out on the honey and it still tastes amazing.


I've found that frozen pineapple works better than fresh pineapple simply because it makes it colder.  You could always add some ice, however in my case, I have one of those personal blenders that makes 1 serving at a time, and the cup isn't big enough to add ice with the other ingredients.


Here's a tip I found on a random website - if I can find the link again I'll post it on here!  If you load your blender with solid foods first, starting with the softest and working up to the hardest/frozen foods, then add your liquid last, it supposedly makes for a better smoothie.  So layer the ingredients bananas, pineapples, honey, then coconut milk!

Ingredients:
(Serves 1)
  • 1 whole banana, broken into pieces
  • 1 c frozen pineapple
  • 1 c coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp honey
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients into a blender and mix.  
Also you can add 1 shot of rum if you prefer the non-virgin kind of pina coladas, however I highly recommend against adding rum if this is going to be your breakfast!  Please drink responsibly!

Finally, you can add a handful of spinach, kale, or a mix of the two to get a serving of vegetables - you can add these two vegetables to any smoothie and you won't taste it at all!  I've tried this Pinterest myth out myself and it's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment