Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pan-Fried Creole Shrimp

I'm so excited to get to try out my new Faberware 8" non-stick skillet with this recipe!  I'd been using a really old skillet previously and finally upgraded :)  I've already used it for scrambled eggs and grilled cheese, and it is great!  Very easy to clean, too, which is always a plus.

I found this recipe in an issue of Cooking Light magazine lying around my parents' house and cooked it for my family while I was visiting home.  It was definitely a success!  This recipe is really simple and quick for both pan-fried shrimp and a dipping sauce with a hint of creole seasoning to give it just a little spice.  The measurements in this recipe are pretty mild as far as spice goes, so if you're a super spicy kind of person I recommend doubling the amounts of creole seasoning.


So one problem I came across was getting the breading to stick on the shrimp, so I wound up adding a bit of flour and bread crumbs mixture to the pan and drizzling a bit of olive oil over it all to help it stick a little better.  Also, the more olive oil you add to the skillet, the more golden brown it will cook!


Also, since I made this for my family I will keep the family-sized portion recipe, however when I make this for myself I plan on quartering or thirding the ingredient amounts to give myself 2 portions.  I'm really big on cooking 2 servings for dinner and saving the second serving for the next day's lunch, it's really convenient so I can get back to school/work on time and not worry about cooking something fresh!



Ingredients:
(Serves 4-6)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere), divided
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
  • 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
  • 3 tbs olive oil, divided
  • 2 tbs mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp hot sauce
Directions:
  • Combine flour, 1tsp Creole seasoning, salt in shallow dish.  Pour milk in shallow dish.  Place breadcrumbs in shallow dish.  Dredge shrimp in the three dishes in order listed.
  • Heat large non-stick skillet over med-high heat.  Add 1-1/2 tbs olive oil.  Add half of shrimp.  Cook 2 minutes on each side or until done.  Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp.
  • Combine mayo, remaining Creole seasoning, Worcestershire and hot sauce in small bowl with whisk.  Serve sauce with shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment