Monday, April 15, 2013

DIY Ribbon Board

My first Pinterest project attempt!  I wanted to make something really cool for my Little for initiation, so I turned to Pinterest for inspiration and found a DIY Ribbon Board.  I liked this idea because I could personalize it to her favorite colors, then slip little photos and messages into the ribbons to personalize it even more.  It's super easy to make - it only took me about 30 minutes.

Supplies you will need are:



  • 1 cork board
  • Fabric - enough to cover the board plus a few inches on all 4 sides to wrap around
  • Quilt batting or polyester stuffing (I used stuffing)
  • Stapler
  • Hot glue gun
  • Ribbon
  • Buttons, rhinestones, or brads


I was able to purchase everything at Hobby Lobby for around $10.  Check Hobby Lobby's website - they usually have coupons that you can print to use on one item, making total cost even cheaper!

Step 1: Lay out the fabric, print side down, and spread the quilt batting/polyester stuffing in an even layer over the fabric.

Step 2: Place the board face down on top of the fabric and stuffing, centered.


Step 3: Fold the edges of the fabric and stuffing over the edges of the board and staple along them.  If you're having trouble getting the staples to hold everything down, use the hot glue gun.  I had to use hot glue in the corners.


Step 4: Flip the board over and lay out all of the ribbons diagonally across the board.

Step 5: Glue each edge of the ribbon down.  For this step, I lightly taped all of the ribbons down before flipping the board over and gluing them all so that they wouldn't slip.  I also recommend flipping the board over after gluing each ribbon to make sure they are all still pulled tight and not bunching weirdly due to the glue.


Step 6: Glue the rhinestones/brads/buttons on over each crisscross in the ribbons.  Glue both the rhinestone to the ribbon and the top ribbon to the bottom ribbon directly underneath the rhinestone.


Step 7: You're done!  Let the glue dry for a few minutes, then it is ready for use!

As a side note, I'm going to try to get better about taking photos after each step so that these directions are easy to follow!

Here's where I got my inspiration: http://beckaboocrafts.blogspot.com/2011/06/diy-ribbon-board.html
I made a few changes, only using one ribbon style and using the rhinestones, but other than that I followed her instructions all the way!

If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them below and I'll answer as soon as possible - just remember I'm a college student, so life gets pretty hectic sometimes!  I promise I will reply though!  And if you make one yourself, post a picture - I'd love to see your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment